Below are other key housing market takeaways for more than 400 U.S. metro areas during the 4-week period ending
Note that at this time last year, pandemic stay-at-home orders halted homebuying and selling, which makes year-over-year comparisons unreliable for select housing metrics. As such, Redfin has broken this analysis into two sections: metrics that are acceptable to compare to the same period in 2020, and metrics for which it makes more sense to compare to the same period in 2019.
Metrics to compare to 2020:
All but one of the metrics highlighted in the following list set a new housing record going back at least as far as 2012, when Redfin's data began.
- Home prices hit a record high of
$352,975and were up 24% year over year, also a record. Asking prices increased to $358,975, also a record high.
- A record-high 101.7% average sale-to-list price ratio, which measures how close homes are selling to their asking prices, up 3.2 percentage points year over year. This means that the average home sold for 1.7% more than its asking price.
- A record low of just 17 days on market for homes that sold during the period, down 18 days from the same period in 2020.
- A record-high 58% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within the first two weeks on the market.
- 45% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within one week of hitting the market, down just slightly from the record high in the four-week period ending
Metrics to compare to 2019:
- Pending home sales were up 22% from the same period in 2019.
- New listings of homes for sale were down 12% from the same period in 2019. Compared to the four-week period ending
April 18, new listings were up 3%, compared to a 7% increase during the same period in 2019.
- Active listings (the number of homes listed for sale at any point during the period) fell 49% from the same period in 2019.
Pending sales for the seven-day period ending
Mortgage purchase applications decreased 4% week over week (seasonally adjusted). For the week ending
"We are seeing some early signs that the market has reached its maximum temperature," said Redfin Chief Economist
To view the full report, including charts and methodology, please visit: https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-half-of-homes-sell-above-list-price/
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered real estate broker, instant home-buyer (iBuyer), lender, title insurer, and renovations company. We sell homes for more money and charge half the fee. We also run the country's #1 real-estate brokerage site. Our home-buying customers see homes first with on-demand tours, and our lending and title services help them close quickly. Customers selling a home can take an instant cash offer from Redfin or have our renovations crew fix up their home to sell for top dollar. Since launching in 2006, we've saved customers nearly
For more information or to contact a local Redfin real estate agent, visit www.redfin.com. To learn about housing market trends and download data, visit the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/redfin-reports-half-of-homes-are-now-selling-above-list-price-301296726.html
Contact Redfin: Redfin Journalist Services: Kenneth Applewhaite, 913-638-8249, firstname.lastname@example.org