Below are other key housing market takeaways for more than 400 U.S. metro areas during the 4-week period ending
- Asking prices of newly listed homes hit a new all-time high of
$334,770, up 10% from the same time a year ago. In a typical year, asking prices do not surpass the previous year's peak until March.
- Pending home sales were up 29% year over year.
- New listings of homes for sale were down 11% from a year earlier.
- Active listings (the number of homes listed for sale at any point during the period) fell 37% from 2020 to a new all-time low.
- 52% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within the first two weeks on the market, well above the 43% rate during the same period a year ago. This is the first time the four-week average has surpassed 50% since at least 2012 (as far back as Redfin's data for this measure goes). During the week ending
February 7, the rate was 57%.
- The average sale-to-list price ratio, which measures how close homes are selling to their asking prices, increased slightly to 99.3%—1.6 percentage points higher than a year earlier.
- For the week ending
February 7, the seasonally adjusted Redfin Homebuyer Demand Index—a measure of requests for home tours and other services from Redfin agents—was up 63% from the same period a year ago.
- Mortgage purchase applications decreased 5% week over week (seasonally adjusted) and were up 17% from a year earlier (unadjusted) during the week ending
February 5. For the week ending February 4, 30-year mortgage rates were unchanged at 2.73%.
"There is a serious lack of new listings, and although prices are through the roof, homeowners are reluctant to sell, because it's so hard to buy again unless you are moving to a less expensive area where you can afford to outbid other buyers," said Redfin chief economist
To view the full report, including charts and methodology, please visit: https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-over-half-of-homes-sold-in-2-weeks/
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered residential real estate company, redefining real estate in the consumer's favor in a commission-driven industry. We do this by integrating every step of the home buying and selling process and pairing our own agents with our own technology, creating a service that is faster, better and costs less. We offer brokerage, iBuying, mortgage, and title services, and we are the #1 nationwide brokerage website, offering a host of online tools to consumers, including the Redfin Estimate. We represent people buying and selling homes in over 90 markets in
For more information or to contact a local Redfin real estate agent, visit www.redfin.com. To learn about housing market trends and download data, visit the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/a-record-52-of-homes-under-contract-within-2-weeks-301227467.html
Redfin Journalist Services: Isabelle Novak, 414-861-5861, email@example.com