Below are other key housing market takeaways for 400+
- Pending home sales climbed 29% year over year even as the number of pending sales continued a typical seasonal decline. In the single week ending
November 15, pending sales were up 22% from the same week a year earlier. This is a slight increase compared to the previous week's growth.
- New listings of homes for sale were up 7% from a year earlier. The one-week year-over-year increase also rebounded to 6% for the week ending
November 15from 3% during election week The number of new listings was the lowest it has been since May.
- Active listings (the number of homes listed for sale at any point during the period) fell 29% from 2019 to a new all-time low.
- 43% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within the first two weeks on the market. This measure typically peaks in April or May and declines through the end of the year, but this year it held relatively between late June and October, and has only recently begun to decline slightly.
- The average sale-to-list price ratio, which measures how close homes are selling to their asking prices, rose to 99.5%—an all-time high and 1.5 percentage points higher than a year earlier.
- For the week ending
November 15, the seasonally adjusted Redfin Homebuyer Demand Index was up 35% from pre-pandemic levels in January and February.
- Mortgage purchase applications increased 4% week over week (seasonally-adjusted) and were up 26% from a year earlier (unadjusted) during the week ending
November 13. For the week ending November 19, 30-year mortgage rates dropped to 2.72%, the thirteenth record low this year. Rates have been below 3% since late July.
"In early November, few homeowners decided to list amidst all of the uncertainty and anxiety about the election outcome," said Redfin chief economist
To view the full report, including charts and methodology, please visit: https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-activity-picks-back-up/
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered residential real estate company, redefining real estate in the consumer's favor in a commission-driven industry. We do this by integrating every step of the home buying and selling process and pairing our own agents with our own technology, creating a service that is faster, better and costs less. We offer brokerage, iBuying, mortgage, and title services, and we also run the country's #1 real estate brokerage search site, offering a host of online tools to consumers, including the Redfin Estimate. We represent people buying and selling homes in over 90 markets in
For more information or to contact a local Redfin real estate agent, visit www.redfin.com. To learn about housing market trends and download data, visit the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/homebuying-picks-up-after-election-week-pending-sales-up-29-from-2019-301178265.html
Redfin Journalist Services: Isabelle Novak, 414-861-5861, email@example.com