Below are other key housing market takeaways for more than 400 U.S. metro areas during the 4-week period ending
Note that at this time last year, pandemic stay-at-home orders halted homebuying and selling, which makes year-over-year comparisons unreliable for select housing metrics. As such, Redfin has broken this analysis into two sections: metrics that are acceptable to compare to the same period in 2020, and metrics for which it makes more sense to compare to the same period in 2019.
Metrics to compare to 2020:
- Asking prices reached an all-time high of
- Homes that sold during the period were on the market for a median of 20 days, down 16 days from the same period in 2020 and the shortest time on market since at least 2012.
- An all-time high 46% of homes sold for more than their list price, up 19 percentage points from the same period a year earlier.
- The average sale-to-list price ratio, which measures how close homes are selling to their asking prices, increased 2.5 percentage points year over year to an all-time high of 101.2%, meaning the average home sold for 1.2% more than its asking price.
- 58% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within the first two weeks on the market. This was a new all-time high since at least 2012.
- 46% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within one week of hitting the market, an all-time high.
Metrics to compare to 2019:
- Pending home sales were up 23% from the same period in 2019.
- New listings of homes for sale were down 12% from the same period in 2019. New listings were up 2% from the four-week period ending
March 28. The small boost in the number of new listings fell far short of the 12% increase during the same period in 2019.
- Active listings (the number of homes listed for sale at any point during the period) fell 48% from the same period in 2019 to a new all-time low.
Mortgage purchase applications decreased 5% week over week (seasonally adjusted). For the week ending
"I am concerned about how we as a society are going to reckon with just how expensive housing has become," said Redfin Chief Economist
To view the full report, including charts and methodology, please visit: https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-home-prices-up-20-pct/
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered real estate broker, instant home-buyer (iBuyer), lender, title insurer, and renovations company. We sell homes for more money and charge half the fee. We also run the country's #1 real-estate brokerage site. Our home-buying customers see homes first with on-demand tours, and our lending and title services help them close quickly. Customers selling a home can take an instant cash offer from Redfin or have our renovations crew fix up their home to sell for top dollar. Since launching in 2006, we've saved customers nearly
For more information or to contact a local Redfin real estate agent, visit www.redfin.com. To learn about housing market trends and download data, visit the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/home-prices-climb-to-new-heights-as-spring-brings-little-relief-to-buyers-awaiting-a-supply-boost-301280991.html
Redfin Journalist Services: Angela Cherry, 913-638-8249, firstname.lastname@example.org