Below are other key housing market takeaways for 400+
- Pending home sales were up 34% year over year. In the single week ending
December 20, pending sales were up 30% from the same week a year earlier.
- New listings of homes for sale were up 12% from a year earlier.
- Active listings (the number of homes listed for sale at any point during the period) fell 31% from 2019 to a new all-time low.
- 39% of homes that went under contract had an accepted offer within the first two weeks on the market, well above the 26% rate during the same period a year ago.
- The average sale-to-list price ratio, which measures how close homes are selling to their asking prices, declined slightly to 99.4%—still 1.5 percentage points higher than a year earlier.
- For the week ending
December 20, the seasonally adjusted Redfin Homebuyer Demand Index—a measure of requests for home tours and other services from Redfin agents—was up 23% from pre-pandemic levels in January and February.
- Mortgage purchase applications decreased 5% week over week (seasonally adjusted) and were up 26% from a year earlier (unadjusted) during the week ending
December 18. For the week ending December 24, 30-year mortgage rates fell to 2.66%, another new all-time low. Rates have been below 3% since late July.
"Going into the new year, it will truly be out with the old, because there will be very few homes from 2020 left on the market," said Redfin chief economist
To view the full report, including charts and methodology, please visit: https://www.redfin.com/news/housing-market-update-december-20/
Redfin (www.redfin.com) is a technology-powered residential real estate company, redefining real estate in the consumer's favor in a commission-driven industry. We do this by integrating every step of the home buying and selling process and pairing our own agents with our own technology, creating a service that is faster, better and costs less. We offer brokerage, iBuying, mortgage, and title services, and we are the #1 nationwide brokerage website, offering a host of online tools to consumers, including the Redfin Estimate. We represent people buying and selling homes in over 90 markets in
For more information or to contact a local Redfin real estate agent, visit www.redfin.com. To learn about housing market trends and download data, visit the
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/home-prices-up-14-pending-sales-rise-34-301198850.html
Redfin, Redfin Journalist Services: Isabelle Novak, 414-861-5861, firstname.lastname@example.org